Saturday, October 24, 2009

RSS Reader

I'm finally getting into the build for my RSS Reader and, once again, I think PHP is going to be my downfall. I was doing fine until I got to this para:

Now, besure to add the get_rss_feed function call to the feedList’s onchange event and you are good to go. With a catch, of course. This will only work when accessed locally via the “file://” protocol. IN order to use this online, you’ll need to circumvent the browser security sandbox and use a middleware proxy to grab the XML and make it local. Here’s the PHP:

HUH!?!?!?!?!?!?

The PHP script is then laid out below but I'm stuffed if I know where it's meant to go in the page or anything.

The basic 'select a feed' dropdown is coming up perfectly, it's just that none of the news is then coming through.

One other little challenge I've run into - I hadn't realised how few of the surf sites (for both news and blogs) incorporate an RSS feed so the list of options is looking a little sad. Although WotNews is a godsend as it can output RSS feeds based on keyword queries.

Reference
Udell, C. (2008) http://visualrinse.com/2008/09/24/how-to-build-a-simple-rss-reader-with-jquery/ viewed 24-Oct-09

No comments:

Post a Comment